At the beginning of June 2020, I backed a new product on Kickstarter from Huami Amazfit. I finally received the promised product, the Amazfit X smart watch. It’s no Apple Watch for sure, and you know, I’m ok with that.
I was a watch wearer for many, many years. Probably many of you from my generation (queue The Who here) were too. With the advent of mobile phones, the need to have an additional product just to tell the time and date was a little superfluous. Of course, for the fashion conscious, watches are also a statement and can be used as an adornment as much as a timepiece.
I like Apple, I like their products. But I prefer to choose products I want to use, not to be forced into a closed ecosystem, which Apple wants to do. If I wanted an Apple Watch, I would have to have an iPhone (although I hear that might be changing). But I have a Samsung phone and I wasn’t plunking down a cool grand for a new iPhone. Yikes.
So here are some of the similarities:
- They both tell the time
- They both show notifications
- They both record activity and let you set goals
- They both offer multiple watch faces
- They both have an always on
And now the differences:
- Apple Watch is like wearing a Chunky on your wrist, the Amazfit X is like wearing a bracelet
- Apple Watch has multiple apps, Amazfit X has workout/health tracking, weather, music control, stop watch, flashlight
- Apple Watch needs to be charged daily, Amazfit X holds a charge for days (about 4 days for me)
- Apple Watch requires an iPhone, Amazfit X uses Android or iOS
- Apple Watch has a physical button, Amazfit X is touch controlled
- Amazfit X has heart rate, SPO2 testing, sleep tracking, stress tracking, breath tracking